With home prices and mortgage rates continuing to rise, down payments are increasing nationwide, as buyers aim to lower their monthly mortgage costs and make their offer more attractive to sellers. According to Realtor.com, buyers averaged a $28,000 down payment in the first quarter of 2022, averaging 13.1% of the purchase price, compared to the first quarter of 2020, when down payments averaged $14,000, with buyers paying about 11% of the purchase price.
IN THE TWIN CITIES REGION, FOR THE WEEK ENDING MAY 14:
- New Listings decreased 6.2% to 1,875
- Pending Sales decreased 19.3% to 1,280
- Inventory decreased 2.9% to 6,152
FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL:
- Median Sales Price increased 10.0% to $370,000
- Days on Market decreased 9.7% to 28
- Percent of Original List Price Received increased 0.5% to 103.8%
- Months Supply of Homes For Sale remained flat at 1.1
All comparisons are to 2021
Click here for the full Weekly Market Activity Report. From MAAR Market Data News.